There was a time when anything men did was accepted as law. Good or bad, sensitive or insensitive it was accepted because a man did or said it. Women were supposed to be damsels in distress always, so any man who stood in front of a woman “protecting her” was considered as a mega human who was doing something extraordinary by giving women the very rights, that they were always supposed to receive.
That time has still not gone. It is still considered as a privilege when girls are sent to school, girls are expected to be grateful when they can acquire knowledge and work. They are expected to be overwhelmed when she receives a marriage proposal from a man and family that allows her to work, utilize her very own knowledge.
The fact that she should take care of the house is so apparent that any other capabilities that she has doesn’t matter because that is not an approved code of society’s conduct.
A man’s approval is the stamp of her being. Taking constant permissions is how her day begins or ends. Bowing her head down at every step is how she is supposed to walk because if she holds her head up high, she is not a cultured, well behaved lady. She is judged as harshly or sometimes even worse than a criminal.
This is age old story, right. Nothing new that I am bringing to the table, nothing special, same old rants!
I want to address this now, because I understand it much better. “It” being the difference between a privilege and a right. I will start from the beginning.
As a GIRL, it is our RIGHT
- To be BORN
- To be EDUCATED
- To live a RESPECTFUL LIFE
- To be married to a MAN and not CONDITIONS
- To give birth to a GIRL
- To give her EVERYTHING she wants
- To take care of our PARENTS
- To work in an UNRESTRICTED ENVIRONMENT
- To have access to ALL RESOURCES
- To be TAKEN CARE OF
As a CHILD, it is our PRIVILEGE
- To be BORN to a great set of parents
- To be EDUCATED in a good school
- To live a RESPECTFUL LIFE with the people you love
- To be married to a MAN/WOMAN and not CONDITIONS who treats you better than life itself
- To give birth to a GIRL who makes you smile everyday
- To give her EVERYTHING she wants and to have the ability to give her that
- To take care of our PARENTS till we are 90
- To work in an UNRESTRICTED ENVIRONMENT and enjoy every moment of it
- To have access to ALL RESOURCES and to be able to use it efficiently
- To be TAKEN CARE OF by all the lovely people around you
Not many people know the difference and consider it normal to be grateful or receive gratitude for a RIGHT. But it’s not. Be appreciative of the people around you, not for the rights they give you because it was never theirs to give in the first place. Fight for what is yours and hold your head high when you get them, not bow it, out of gratitude. This was never about a favour!